Friday, September 26, 2014

Five on Friday

1.  We had Rob's birthday dinner on Sunday.  I made our last summer barbeque with potato salad, corn on the cob, baked beans, barbequed burgers, brats and hot dogs, and gooey butter cake for dessert.  My boy's favorite is my gooey butter cake.  The weather was great so the kids played outside and it wasn't too wild.








2.  Work is going well, but it is not as busy as I would like.  I worked an extra evening this week because a co-worker was out of town, but the time goes really slow if there aren't students to work with.  There is one young gal I work with on Wednesday evenings who is Republican and very opinionated, and she drives me crazy.  She insists she is a Libertarian, but I know she is a Republican.

3.  Our class we are taking is going really well.  We are covering the 1960's now, and even though we lived through it it is great seeing what went on from a historical perspective.  The first book we read, Freedom Summer, was about the summer of 1963 and a large number of young people and students went to Mississippi to help the blacks register to vote.  It was amazing how the blacks were treated, even that human beings could treat another human that way.  Now we are reading to learn how the Republican party became so conservative in the sixties.

4.  I got a chair from my sister Lorie for our family room.  We gave Patrick our big couch when he moved back to St. Louis in June, so I have been looking for a chair ever since to put on the wall with the love seat.  I was looking for one in primary colors, preferable striped, to brighten up the room.  I remembered that Lorie had gotten new chairs for her family room recently and asked her what she had done with her old ones, which I always loved.  She said they were waiting in her basement for me to come get, so we went over Monday and picked one up.  I love the way it looks.




5.  We are going to Cincinnati in two weeks, on the 10th of October.  We haven't seen the babies since the fourth of July, and they will not be home until Christmas.  They change so much when they are little, so I like to see them every couple of months.  I talked to Stephanie last night and asked her what she was going to be on Halloween, and she said a sheep.  She was a sheep last year and got lots of candy, so I guess she wanted to repeat that.  The costume will fit Julia this year, so I suggested she be Little Bo Peep, and she agreed, though she has no idea what I am talking about.  I have to talk to Chellie and see if she had any other ideas, and if not I'll make her a Little Bo Peep costume.

No comments:

Post a Comment