Friday, April 26, 2013


I finally did it.  I turned in my letter of resignation yesterday.  Or, I should say my letter of retirement.  My dean was very nice about it--acted like he was crying and really going to miss me.  I think part of it was an act because he is under so much pressure to eliminate positions and was really kind of relieved.  I had told him before Christmas that I was retiring this summer, but he couldn't do anything until it was official.  He gave me a big hug and told me I had done a wonderful job and the school would miss me.   

I have so many things I'm wanting to do when I retire--write in this blog more regularly, go out to lunch with friends, plant more flower beds, visit more with grand kids, go back to church, read some books I have been wanting to read for ever, sew more for the grand kids and figure out how to use my serger.  I would eventually like to do some volunteer work, maybe a couple of days a week.  I'd also like to join the Smocking Guild of America; they have meetings once a month in Crestwood.  They have a program called Wee Care, and they make smocked preemie gowns for babies who don't make it to be buried in.  I've thought about opening a shop on Etsy, but I really don't want to have to do something.  I just want to sew when I feel like it. 

We only have one more week of school, then finals week.  Then we leave that Saturday, the 11th, for vacation.  We're renting a different beach house this year, so it will be interesting to see how that works out.  The house has two separate floors, each with five bedrooms.  I think maybe we'll put all of the grandkids on the top floor and us adults on the first floor, haha.  The house has its own pool and basketball court and a really nice looking picnic area.  We'll get back on Sunday, the 19th, and on Thursday, the 23rd, I fly to Cincinnati to help with Stephanie when the new baby is born.  Chellie will have a c-section on Saturday, the 25th.  It seems like I'm just about already finished working, but I'll be there some in June.  I have about eight weeks of sick leave which I'll lose, and about three weeks of vacation that I'll either use or get paid for.

They are breaking ground for our addition on Monday.  We've been cleaning out the garden to get ready, and we have lots of day lilies and hostas to get rid of.  I've moved some stuff but don't have anywhere to put a lot of it.  A guy came yesterday to take the old air conditioner out and the utility companies came this week to mark place in the yard where the lines are.  I'll take pictures as we go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment