Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Evil

I just talked to my daughter in Boston, and we had said how fortunate it is that her children are with their father in California visiting their other grandparents this week.  She talked to Corinne last night, however, and C already knew all about it.  I can't imagine how children can deal with all of the shootings and bombings and terrorism that goes on now.  When I was a child my biggest worry was who would win the Irish-German basketball game on St. Patrick's Day, and what to wear to the school picnic.  I don't remember hearing of anyone being killed, until I was in eighth grade and JFK was shot, and a senior in high school when Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy were killed.  By then I knew there was evil and people were capable of killing one another for no reason (except for war when they are trained to kill the "enemy"). 

And when I raised my children I don't remember such violence.  We adults know that the chances are so slim of us being the victim of shooting or terrorism, but children don't have the maturity to realize this.  It must seem like there is terror lurking everytime they go out now, like to a movie theatre or to watch a parade.  They know at Sandy Hook twenty little children were killed in their own school.  In a safe place in an upper-middle class neighborhood.   And their was a woman in our neighborhood who killed her two children and then herself last summer.  My St. Louis daughter was on vacation and she asked us not to talk about it when they returned.  And the little eight-year-old Martin who was killed at the marathon.  I've seen a couple of things on other peoples' blogs and Facebook, and I'm repeating them below.  I know what they say is true, there are so many more good people than the few psychopaths, but how will little children process all of this?



To this day, especially in times of ‘disaster,’ I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.’ ~Mr. Rogers.




Facebook



No comments:

Post a Comment