Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Tra La, It's May

Tra la! It's May!
The lusty month of May!
That lovely month when ev'ryone goes
Blissfully astray.
Tra la! It's here!
That shocking time of year
When tons of wicked little thoughts
Merrily appear!
It's May! It's May!
That gorgeous holiday
When ev'ry maiden prays that her lad
Will be a cad!
It's mad! It's gay!
A libelous display!
Those dreary vows that ev'ryone takes,
Ev'ryone breaks.
Ev'ryone makes divine mistakes
The lusty month of May!

I remember hearing this song every spring as a child.  My mother loved musicals and Camelot was one of her favorites.  I always think of it on May Day, along with the May Day we used to have at our Catholic grade school.  
Every year each class would pick one girl to to the May Day representative, and the eighth grade girl  would be crowned the Queen of May.  I guess she was supposed to represent Mary.   We would have a Maypole, and we would sing:
Oh Mary we crown thee with flowers today,
Queen of the angels,
Queen of the May.
It was quite different from the lusty month of May we heard at home; even though my mother was super religious, we all sang along.   We had no idea what lusty even meant. 
Now that I'm grown and a mother and grandmother, May means our family vacation.  On Saturday we will leave for our family trip to Gulf Shores.  My husband and I will drive from St. Louis, and my oldest daughter and oldest son who live in St. Louis will drive; my son from Cincinnati and his family will fly down as will my New York son and Boston daughter and grandkids.  
We've rented a large house on the beach and will all be together for a week.  I can hardly wait.  I've been buying lots of matching clothes and sewing up a storm with vacation outfits.  We're renting the same house that we rented last year; this is the first time we are renting the same house two years in a row.  Here are a couple of pictures:
Back of the house
Pool on the side of the house
Looking out at the beach from the back porch.




No comments:

Post a Comment