Friday, February 27, 2015

Five on Friday

1.  It's been forever since I did a "Five on Friday," but since I finally got caught up on the holidays (at least with photos) and trips, I wanted to get back into posting at least once a week.  This blog serves as a journal for me so I can know what I was doing in the past.  I've been working a lot the past couple of weeks; last week I worked all day Thursday and Friday for a friend who was out of town and this week I worked every evening for a sick friend.  I'm working all day Monday for another friend.  I also substituted teaching for a class last week and will again in a couple of weeks.  I really like just working Wednesday evenings.

2.  I'm on Medicare and getting Social Security now that I am 65.   I had been told I would not get Social Security because I am in the Missouri Public School Retirement System, and I did not pay Social Security while working full-time at Meramec for fifteen years.  However, I did work at other, mostly part-time jobs, for eighteen years so I'm getting a little Social Security.  It was kind of irritating though, when I talked to the caseworker she asked how much I was getting from my MPSRS and adjusted my SS benefits accordingly.  I don't think that is right, but I didn't have any choice and am glad at least I'm getting something.

3.  We are still watching series on TV.  Since we got Netflix we watched two years worth of Orange is the New Black and House of Cards, and now we are on the third and final season of Lillyhammer.  We really have been enjoying the series while waiting for spring to come and we'll be able to be outside again and not spend so much time watching TV.  We also still watch Downton Abbey weekly and a new one called Better Call Sal.  I'm so glad these series are on now instead of everything being reality shows like in the early 2000s.  And today season three of House of Cards comes on Netflix.  Hooray!

4.  I got a call from John the other night and he and Chellie have invited us to Hilton Head the first week in September.  They rented a four-bedroom house, and Chellie's mother and partner are also coming.  It is a beautiful house and we'll get to spend a whole week with the grand girls.  We'll be vacationing a lot this summer--in June we're going to Gulf Shores, in July to Saugatuck, MI, and now the beginning of September to Hilton Head.  I'm working on losing the 12 pounds I've gained since last year.  It would be nice to swim with the grand kids this summer.

5.  I don't know if I've mentioned it on here, but I joined a Webster Swap and Sell Group on Facebook, and it's been lots of fun.  I haven't sold anything yet, mainly because I'm too lazy to take pictures and post stuff, but I'm going to start today.  I've bought lots of stuff.  Yesterday I got six little yellow soup bowls.  She was asking $35 and I asked if she would take $30 and she agreed.  I already have a big one, which I think might be a soup tureen, that matches perfectly.  Here are a couple of pictures (which I stole from Facebook), since I can't do a post without pictures. Although they look orange in the pictures, they really are a buttery yellow color:



No comments:

Post a Comment