Saturday, January 7, 2012

Christmas is Over

We are undecorating our house this weekend.  It takes us two weeks two decorate, but taking everything down and putting it away just takes a weekend.  I plugged in the tree early this morning before husband (from here on called R.W.) started taking it down.  I think one of my favorite smells in the whole world is the smell of a Christmas tree.  When we moved into this house fourteen years ago, the first Christmas our tree fell over in the living room, so the next year we bought an artificial tree.  We used it for a couple of years, but it just didn't smell like Christmas.  We gave it to my daughter and went back to real trees.

I went back to work on Thursday.  I work at a college, so we get a two-week break for the holidays.  This coming week is what I call "Hell Week," meetings everyday and getting ready for our training on Friday--I supervise a program called Supplemental Instruction in which we have about 45 student workers doing group study sessions for high-risk classes.  That lasts eight hours and is exhausting.  Luckily, we have a three-day weekend afterwards, so I can rest up for the first week of school.  I have a feeling I might be gone the first week.   I've already prepped my two assistants to handle training, which they can do on their own,  but I know it will be confusing for them, too.  The first actual week of the semester is just as busy with our new leaders coming in wanting text books and asking about everything they didn't pay attention to in the training. 

I wrote earlier about my d.i.l. being due this month--in two weeks.  I will go to see the baby, hopefully getting there before she is born.  I've been there when all seven of my other grandchildren were born.  Five were born here, and two in Boston.  With both Boston babies, I got there and they were born within a half hour of my arriving.  My daughter said I should have come earlier, then her labors would have been shorter, lol.  When my d.i.l. goes into labor, or is scheduled for a c-section, R.W. and I will drive there so we can bring some of the bigger items they received at the shower.  He will stay a few days then drive back home, and I will stay at least a week to help them out then fly home. 

Well, I better start helping undecorating before R.W. sees I am playing on the computer and stops.


  1. Hi Maggie, what a delightful blog. I bet you are looking forward to your newest grandbaby. I know I am but mine new one isn't due until the beginning of April and I plan on going and staying with them and helping out with the 2 1/2 year old and daddy. Thanks for sharing. Hope you had a restful weekend. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

    1. So excited to see your comment, Chris. You are my first follower. I'll visit your blog and follow you, if I can figure out how. Thanks!!!