Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Ten on Tuesday (On Wednesday)

1.  I can't believe it's been so long since I posted.  I really like to keep this like a journal, even though my life is pretty boring compared to some of the blogs I read.  My daughter told me about a new website, GOMI (get off my Internet) where people criticize blogs. It's  mostly the ones who  post everyday and have advertisers who pay them.  The criticism gets really vicious. I'm glad I'm not popular enough to be on GOMI!

2.  Busy, busy, busy.  Sometimes it doesn't seem like I retired.  Someone in the academic center left a couple of weeks ago, so now I am working on Mondays, as well as Wednesday evenings and Fridays.  With going to class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I'm at Meramec every day.  The academic center is not very busy on Mondays, so I'm going to ask my boss tomorrow if I can skip the Mondays.  And the ESL supervisor asked me to help with placement of new students on Wednesday mornings. We only have three weeks left, then we'll have a nice long break.

3.  I went to Boston for Halloween, and it was really fun to be there with the kids.  It was cold there, but I heard it was just as cold here in St. Louis.  I went out with Kate and the kids for a couple of hours, then went back to Kate's house while she and a couple of friends went for another hour.  Afterwards, Kate had people over to her house, and it was kind of wild.  Here are some pictures:












4.  Wayne and I have been walking most mornings.  We usually go to Powder Valley, which is about ten minutes from home, and is a preserved area right in the middle of the county.  There are lots of deer there; we often see a few while driving in or walking through the paths.  This past weekend they were closed for a deer hunt.  People could kill deer with bows and arrows to control the deer population.  We walked at Blackburn Park instead, which is just a couple of miles from home.  Here are a few deer we saw last week (that we'll probably never see again):


5.  It's hard to believe it is only six weeks until Christmas. As usual, I haven't done much shopping yet.  None of our out-of-town kids will be here for Thanksgiving, but they will be for Christmas.  If I had to chose, I would have them here for Christmas.  I'm going to Cincinnati the first week of December, so I probably won't start decorating until I get back. For our older grand kids I'll get gift cards, and for our own kids we will give checks, so I don't have a whole lot of shopping to do. And it will be fun shopping for the little ones.

6.  Our class has been really enjoyable, but it ends in three weeks.  It is looking at the cultural changes in 1960's America, and it is taught by a history teacher.  Next semester, a sociology teacher will teach the same class, so we are going to take it again.  My brother, Joe, wants to take the class, too.

7.  We are going to Florida the end of January.  Wayne's brother, Jeff, and his wife have rented a condo for six weeks in St. Petersburg and asked us to come spend some time with them  We'll fly into Tampa on a Saturday and come back Tuesday evening.  One of these years we'll probably rent a place for a month or two in Florida or Alabama.

8.  We have become addicted to "Breaking Bad."  I've heard people talking about it for years but never watched it.  Patrick kept telling me we had to watch it, so we borrowed the series from our son-in-law Dave and watch a couple episodes every night.  Television has improved so much since the early 2000's when there were so many reality shows.

9.  Jack has become quite the hockey player.  This past weekend he scored 26 goals in one game.  The game was against kids his own age, but this their first year playing.  He's been playing for five years, even thought he is only eight.

10. Things are beginning to heat up again in Ferguson.  The grand jury is supposed to make a decision any day now whether or not to indict Dennis Wilson. I have a feeling he's not going to be indicted, and the riots will really get bad.  I don't think we will ever know the truth about what happened that day.  Hopefully, this will open up talks in St. Louis about the racial problems and changes will happen.  St. Louis is one of the most segregated cities in the US.  It's time to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment